Table of Contents
- 1 Must-Have Coffee Accessories For 2023
- 2 Coffee Accessory FAQs
- 2.1 Is it worthwhile to have accessories that can enhance the coffee-drinking experience?
- 2.2 What are the absolute essential coffee accessories for home use?
- 2.3 How do I choose the right coffee grinder for my needs?
- 2.4 Is a French press or a pour-over the best way to make coffee?
- 2.5 What is the difference between a manual and an electric coffee grinder?
- 2.6 How do I properly clean and maintain my coffee equipment?
- 2.7 Are reusable coffee filters better for the environment than disposable ones?
- 2.8 What are the pros and cons of using a coffee siphon?
- 2.9 How can I make sure my coffee stays hot while I enjoy it?
- 2.10 What is the best type of mug to use for drinking coffee?
- 2.11 When making coffee, can I use regular milk or do I need special milk for frothing?
- 3 In Conclusion…
Coffee – the morning drink choice for millions of people across the globe. Do you enjoy a cup of coffee to kick off your day? There are so many ways to drink coffee, let alone how many different types of coffee drinks are available; whether you choose a plain long black, or something a little fancier, owning good quality coffee accessories can make the difference when you are brewing at home.
Coffee accessories are important, especially if you want to try and make drinks such as the Moroccan Café des epices, the traditional Turkish coffee, the Spanish Café Bombónor the Greek Frappe. Each country has its own signature coffee, and many require their own special accessories to get it just right.
There are some great accessories on the market to help you make better coffee at home or work, and like all coffee drinkers, we know great accessories can make your coffee taste even better.
From one coffee lover to another, we’ve put together a list of the…
Must-Have Coffee Accessories For 2023
Coffee MWBLK Mug Warmer
No one wants their coffee to go cold while they are focused on other things. If your job means you don’t get to finish your coffee before it goes cold, the Mr. Coffee Mug Warmer is a great idea. This mug warmer is really easy to use – simply plug it in, pop your mug on top and turn it on.
There are a couple of ways you can use the Mr. Coffee Mug Warmer – turn it on and place an already hot mug of coffee on it or turn it on and place a cooled mug of coffee on it. The warmer keeps your mug warm which then transfers to the liquid, so placing an already hot mug of coffee on the warmer is going to naturally keep your coffee warmer for longer.
The Mr. Coffee Mug Warmer works best with flat-bottomed cups as it means your mug is absorbing as much heat as possible, however, it can also be used with soup mugs and larger mugs with smaller bases. The warmer also won’t burn your benchtop, so it is perfect for all-day use while in the office.
The Mr. Coffee Mug Warmer made our list of the best Coffee Accessories due to its functionality, the ability to use it all day long, and it looks great on any desk or bench.
JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
We can’t imagine anyone would argue with the fact that freshly ground coffee smells absolutely superb. If you love the smell of freshly ground coffee then the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is what you’ve been looking for.
The built-in adjustable grind selector means you have total control over the grind; selection options include pour-over, cold brew, French press, Aeropress, Turkish, and espresso grind – that’s a lot of coffee options right there coming out of one machine.
With no batteries or power required, and small enough to fit in a briefcase or handbag, this is a great option to have in the office or at home, as well as take with you on your next road trip – because we know that the need for coffee always strikes when there is no coffee shop for miles around.
If you have a coffee lover in the family or the office, the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is a great gift option for birthdays and Christmas – it’s easy to use and easy to clean which means even the most novice of coffee drinkers will be able to utilize it.
The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder made it onto our Top 7 Coffee Accessories for 2023 list due to the simple fact – we can take it anywhere we go!!
Mind Reader ‘Anchor’ Triple Drawer single serve coffee pod holder
Are you sick of having little capsules of coffee throughout the kitchen cupboard at home or in the office? If so, the Mind Reader ‘Anchor’ Triple Drawer is a great solution. This drawer holds a large number of single-serve coffee pods and easily sits underneath your single-serve capsule coffee machine to maximize bench space in your office or home kitchen.
The ‘Anchor’ has six rows across three draws to help you organize your pods by flavors or strength and is available in three models – the K-Cup model holds 36 capsules, the Vue Packs holds 20 capsules and the Nespresso holds 50 capsules. The K-Cup model is also able to be used with Rivo pods (space for 72), Verismo pods, CBTL pods, and Dolce Gusto Pods (space for 42). The Vue model can also be used with the Tassimo T-Discs (holding 48).
The ‘Anchor’ looks great in a range of kitchen settings and keeps your pods and capsules tucked away neatly – you can easily see when you need a refill, and your family and guests can easily see what coffee types you have available for them to use without hunting through your cupboards.
We love the Mind Reader ‘Anchor’ Triple Drawer single-serve coffee pod holder for its simple design and the fact it has helped us get all of our pods out of the pantry and into one storage space – this is why it’s on our best Coffee Accessories list.
Coffee Pod K- Cup Carousel
If you often need to make coffee for meetings in your office, and your guests have trouble choosing what they would like, the Coffee Pod K-Cup Carousel is a stylish addition to your office kitchen.
The lazy Susan design lends itself to this K-Cup storage system, with the base rotating 360 degrees for access to the capsules; the system can sit anywhere, from your office or home kitchen bench, workspace, or in the pantry without taking up too much room. The carousel holds up to 35 K-cups giving you plenty of room to store various flavors and strengths.
If you’re thinking about buying the K-Cup coffee maker for yourself or for a friend or family member, the Coffee Pod K-Cup Carousel is a great addition to a fantastic gift idea. For anyone who loves their K-Cup coffee maker, the spinning carousel will be well received.
The Coffee Pod K-Cup Carousel has made it onto our list of Top Coffee Accessories list due to its functionality, and simple design allowing it to be used in any kitchen setting whether at home or the office.
KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder
We love the smell of freshly ground coffee and the KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder makes it easy for us to wake up to freshly ground beans every morning.
This electric coffee grinder has a large capacity, grinding up to 12 cups of coffee worth of beans fast and in uniform size – which means no huge bits of coffee beans going through your machine! You can also use the machine to grind things like spices, nuts, and grains but we’d suggest getting two machines if you are planning to do this – you don’t want to contaminate the taste of your coffee.
We’ve had family members use the KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder every day for a couple of years now and they haven’t had a problem. We recently picked one up to try it out and now we’re throwing out our old grinders and this one is taking its place. The KRUPS Grinder is a budget-friendly option, so if you love fresh coffee but can’t afford a high-end grinder, this will do perfectly well.
If you are in the market for a KRUPS Coffee Grinder, make sure you hunt down some good quality coffee beans. You will need to grind your beans on an ‘as required’ basis as ground coffee will oxidize very quickly. Fresh beans and a fresh grind will make all the difference to your daily coffee drinking, and you’ll find you get a better-tasting coffee every time.
The KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder made our Coffee Accessories list for 2023 list simply because we love freshly ground coffee and at such a great price, you can’t go wrong.
Friis 16-Ounce Coffee Vault
If you’ve ever ground your own coffee beans you’ll know that once ground, coffee beans start to oxidize and go off very quickly. It can seem like a waste of beans if you’ve ground too much, but it isn’t worth keeping them as the taste and quality deteriorate pretty quickly.
This is where a product like the Friis 16-Ounce Coffee Vault is a valuable addition to your kitchen. The Vault is an airtight container that stores up to 16 ounces of whole or ground coffee, keeping it fresh and full of flavor. The Friis has a valve that vents the CO2 gasses that ground beans emit, ensuring your ground and fresh beans are kept at optimal quality.
The valve is extremely important to keep your coffee fresh, especially if you roast your own beans at home – the CO2 released from the beans is the highest in the first 3 days after roasting so having a container with the ability to release this from your beans will ensure the coffee beans are stored well.
The Friss looks good as well – made of stainless steel the canister will fit well into any kitchen and is, in fact, perfect for the office or home kitchen.
While we don’t roast our own beans (although it’s something we’d love to try) we do grind our own beans regularly; we’ve always had trouble keeping them fresh but since trying out the Friis Vault, we haven’t had an issue with the freshness or quality of our beans.
You can probably tell why the Friis 16-Ounce Coffee Vault is on our list of the best Coffee Accessories for 2023 – keeping coffee beans and ground coffee fresh is extremely important to have a great coffee.
For more picks of our best coffee storage containers, click here.
Hario V60 Coffee Dripper
Freshly brewed coffee can make all the difference to your morning routine, but we often don’t have the time, or the space in our kitchens, for a full-sized coffee maker. The Hario V60 Coffee Dripper gives you the benefit of freshly brewed coffee without the expense of buying a complete coffee machine.
The coffee dripper has a specially designed angle with ribbed sides to allow for optimum extraction of the coffee. With a large hole at the bottom, you can create your own customized drink, with a flavor and strength you enjoy. Due to the amount of water that flows through the coffee dripper, it is essential to use good-quality beans. We tried this with some older beans and while you can get the best from your beans, you also get to taste any flaws as well.
The Hario Coffee Dripper is budget-friendly; so much so that you could have one dripper in the kitchen at home, one in the office and one packed away with your camping or travel gear.
The dripper is handmade from quality ceramic which means you get a durable and long-lasting coffee dripper you can use at home or at the office. The ceramic material is also more beneficial than a plastic dripper as it won’t soak up the coffee color like plastic models tend to do.
We love using the Hario V60 Coffee Dripper on a slow Sunday morning when we’ve got the time to sit down and enjoy a fresh-brewed coffee. This has made our Top 7 Coffee Accessories for 2023 list because we love that we can brew a cup of coffee to our own flavor and strength without needing to fuss around with machines.
Coffee Accessory FAQs
Is it worthwhile to have accessories that can enhance the coffee-drinking experience?
It is a personal preference but we believe that having accessories can improve the coffee-drinking experience and make a coffee lover’s daily ritual even more enjoyable. The act of making and consuming coffee can be made more pleasurable and memorable with the use of specialized tools and equipment. This can include things like a premium coffee grinder, a French press, a pour-over, a milk frother, or even something as simple as a distinctive or personalized mug.
What are the absolute essential coffee accessories for home use?
There are a few items you will need to make good coffee at home. They include the following:
– Coffee Maker: This is the most important accessory you will need to make coffee. There are several different types of coffee makers such as drip coffee makers, single-serve pod coffee makers, French presses, and pour-over brewers.
– Grinder: To make the freshest possible coffee, a grinder is necessary to reduce coffee beans to grinds for brewing. A burr grinder is best for home use.
– Measuring Scoop or Scale: A measuring scoop or scale will ensure that you are using the correct amount of ground coffee for brewing.
– Coffee Beans: The higher the quality of the coffee beans, the better the cup of coffee will be. Coffee beans are easy to access as they are carried in all grocery stores in the coffee/tea section.
– Mugs or Cups: It pretty well goes without saying that after you make your coffee, naturally, you will need something to hold it and to drink from. Ceramic and glass mugs or cups will retain heat longer than many other materials.
– Filters: If you are using a drip coffee maker, filters are required to remove impurities from the coffee during the brewing process. Unbleached filters will not alter the flavor of the finished coffee.
There are additional accessories that may be necessary depending on the type of coffee you intend to make. These items include a thermometer, frother, and milk pitcher.
How do I choose the right coffee grinder for my needs?
There are several factors to consider when purchasing a coffee grinder for use at home. They include:
– Consistency: A good quality grinder should produce consistent results whether you have it set for fine or coarse grinds.
– Capacity: Consider how much coffee you usually make at a time and try to match the right size grinder for your needs.
– Speed: If you’re in a hurry, you’ll want a grinder that can move as fast as you. Or maybe you are not in a hurry and the speed of the grinder won’t matter. But it is something you may want to factor into your purchase.
– Noise: Some grinders are louder than others. If you’re making coffee in a quiet setting, or do not wish to disturb anyone, be sure to check the noise level before purchasing your grinder.
– Ease of Use and Cleaning: The easier it is to operate and keep clean, the more likely you will use it. Plus, a grinder that has simple operation and can be cleaned easily will cut down the time and effort you must put into maintenance.
– Budget: Coffee grinders can cost anywhere between $20 and $500. Set a budget in advance and see if you can find one to fit it that does everything you expect from a coffee grinder.
– Grinder Type: There are two basic types of coffee grinders: blade and burr. Blade grinders are less expensive and less precise. Burr grinders cost more but are more consistent and better at grinding coffee beans.
Is a French press or a pour-over the best way to make coffee?
The best way to make coffee will come down to your personal preference, but both French press and pour-over methods have distinct advantages. A French press uses a plunger and a nylon or mesh filter. It is a simple, straightforward way to make coffee. It also produces a rich, full-bodied cup of coffee with robust flavor. The pour-over method involves pouring hot water over coffee grounds held in a cone-shaped filter. Gravity draws the water through the ground coffee. It is slower and more precise producing a cleaner cup of coffee with a pronounced flavor.
What is the difference between a manual and an electric coffee grinder?
Manual grinders are hand-operated with a crank or lever and are less expensive than electric ones. They tend to be portable and can only grind small quantities of coffee beans at a time. They also are quieter and do not produce as much heat as electric grinders, which can impact the flavor of the coffee. Electric grinders use a motor to power the grinding and are faster than manual grinders. Electric grinders have more precise settings and are larger and more expensive than manual ones.
How do I properly clean and maintain my coffee equipment?
Cleaning and maintaining your coffee equipment will ensure you will be able to produce good quality coffee for a long time. Here’s how you should clean different types of coffee makers:
– Drip Coffee Maker: Use soap and water to clean the carafe, filter basket, and interior of the machine often. Use a solution of equal parts of water and vinegar to descale the machine. Just run it through the machine as if you were making coffee. Descaling helps reduce mineral buildup.
– Espresso Machine: With a cleaning solution that is specifically for this type of machine, clean the portafilter, steam wand, and drip tray after each use. Backflushing the machine weekly with a cleaning solution is also a good idea.
– French Press: After each use, take apart the French press, and with soap and water, wash the glass beaker and plunger.
– Moka Pot: Clean the outside of the pot with soap and water. Take the equipment apart and clean the inside of the pot with soap and water. Reassemble the pot and flush it with water.
– Pour Over: Use soap and water to clean the carafe and dripper following each use.
Are reusable coffee filters better for the environment than disposable ones?
Generally speaking, reusable filters are better for the environment as you can clean and reuse them several times before having to replace them with new filters.
What are the pros and cons of using a coffee siphon?
A coffee siphon uses a vacuum-like process to brew coffee. This is why they are also known as coffee vacuums. There are a few advantages and disadvantages to using this type of coffee maker:
– Coffee siphons offer a unique and interactive brewing experience compared to all other types of coffee makers.
– The vacuum brewing process produces a rich and flavorful cup of coffee as it extracts delicate flavors and aromas from the coffee grounds that no other coffee method can.
– Coffee siphons are visually appealing and often add a touch of elegance to a kitchen.
– You have complete control over temperature and brewing time with a coffee siphon which permits a personal touch to make a cup of coffee, so you can brew it exactly how you like it.
– Coffee siphons are usually more expensive than any other type of coffee maker.
– They are also somewhat complicated to use, especially if you are new to this type of coffee making.
– It takes much longer to brew a cup of coffee with a coffee siphon than it does with any other type of coffee maker.
– Coffee siphons require a great deal of care and maintenance and can be easily broken or damaged when being cleaned.
How can I make sure my coffee stays hot while I enjoy it?
There are several ways to keep your coffee hot so that you can continue to enjoy it. Here are a few suggestions:
– Use a Mug Warmer: This plugs into a power outlet and uses a warming plate onto which you place your cup of coffee in between sips to keep your mug and its contents warm.
– Thermal Mug: A thermal mug is insulated to keep coffee hot for extended periods. Look for thermal mugs with double-walled construction and a vacuum-sealed lid.
– Reheat: If your coffee gets too cool for you, you can always reheat it in a microwave oven or on a stovetop. Be careful to not overheat and burn the coffee.
– Wrap It: You can keep your coffee hot for as long as you need to by wrapping a cloth around the outside of the mug or cup you are using.
– Preheat: You can fill your cup or mug in advance with hot water, then empty it before you add your coffee. The hot water will preheat the mug keeping it from cooling down the coffee.
– Carafe: If you keep your coffee in a carafe, it will stay hot so that when you pour yourself a cup, you will end up with a hot cup of coffee.
What is the best type of mug to use for drinking coffee?
There are several different types of mugs available to enjoy drinking coffee from. Here are a few of the most popular ones:
– Ceramic Mugs: Affordable and easy to find, ceramic mugs come in many different sizes and designs. They have good insulation properties which means they keep coffee hot longer.
– Glass Mugs: These are great for showing off the great color of an excellent cup of coffee. Plus, glass mugs are safe for reheating in a microwave oven.
– Stainless Steel Mugs: Easy to clean, stainless steel mugs are lightweight and durable. Insulated ones keep coffee hot longer than non-insulated ones.
– Travel Mugs: Made of ceramic, plastic, or stainless steel, travel mugs are insulated and have non-spill lids to keep coffee hot.
When making coffee, can I use regular milk or do I need special milk for frothing?
Frothing is possible with any type of milk. This includes whole milk, skim milk, and non-dairy kinds of milk such as soy or almond milk. The only difference is that whole milk produces a high volume, rich, thick froth. Skim milk results in a lighter, airier froth.
We’re not going to lie – we love coffee; whether it be a long black first thing in the morning or a latte at 3 pm to get us through the rest of the day, coffee is a godsend. There are many accessories on the market that can make your coffee-drinking experience a little more special.
We really love the accessories we’ve outlined above and more than one or two of these will make great gifts for the coming year.
Do you have any coffee accessories that you love, and that you think others may also think are great? Please share your favorite accessories in the comments section below…